Why is there a delay in the internet?

Hi.

Without going into too much depth. Could anyone knowledgeable spare a moment to explain? I Mean the speed of light is darn fast, so why are there delays/latency issues?

Could it be that networking equipment such as routers. modulators and modems have slow circuits based on limited frequency and introduce delays?

Thanks.

Comments

• Just compare it to intersections between highways. Most parts of the way are very fast, but at some points you have to turn to get to a different one. You'll have to slow down and determine which route to take.

Routers need to determine where to send your packet, and that will always be slow. Some of the points your packets need to go through are extremely busy and get delayed in the process.
  • pritaeas wrote:
    Just compare it to intersections between highways. Most parts of the way are very fast, but at some points you have to turn to get to a different one. You'll have to slow down and determine which route to take.

Routers need to determine where to send your packet, and that will always be slow. Some of the points your packets need to go through are extremely busy and get delayed in the process.

So as networking equipment all over the internet gets better, the latency/lag/delay will decrease?
  • Theoretically yes, but traffic is always increasing so the lag improvements may not be noticeable.
  • There may be a small delay because of the modems, or because the Internet provider has fluctuation in the LAN sending. Besides, sometimes when the servers become overloaded with activity, we can experience lag.
  • Spikes in Internet utilization during peak usage times of day often cause lag. The lag usually varies by service provider and your geographic location. Another cause might be due to an overloaded router.Any network router will eventually slow down if too many active clients are using it at the same time.
  • I think the delay in loading majorly depend on the network used.
    They're network with snail speed.So when getting a network service,reviews on such company should be accessed.
  • There's many types of routers which might be not decent but to think that it may cause delays? I don't think so Especially if you're using it alone!
  • pritaeas wrote: »
    Just compare it to intersections between highways. Most parts of the way are very fast, but at some points you have to turn to get to a different one. You'll have to slow down and determine which route to take.

This is by far the best and simple explanation that I've found. It also depends on what type of connection you are using though and also the plan. Lower plans tend to have slower connections.
  • Well, data gets passed through channels from a server to a client and it takes some time for that data to go through. With a faster connection data goes with a lesser delay, obviously.
  • Heisenberg wrote: »
    pritaeas wrote: »

This is by far the best and simple explanation that I've found. It also depends on what type of connection you are using though and also the plan. Lower plans tend to have slower connections.

I also agree. At some point you will always end up getting stuck no matter if it may be on the internet or in real life on the highway. Heisenberg's perfectly describes that and he even goes on to elaborate it more which helps aid in the understanding in the context.