Pro*C vs Shell Script

Hello,

I would like to know the pros and cons of using Pro*C vs Shell Scripting (ksh or sh). The point is that it is neccesary to access to a database and I´ve heard that Shell scripts have less control due to SQL Plus (the via to access to bbdd) is more difficult to control.

Therefore I´d like to know the limits or pros and cons of using a Pro C programm or a Shell Script (with Sqlplus).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Pro*C appears to have no inherent limits with embedded SQL compared to other options. While I have no first-hand experience with Pro*C, it looks exactly like C++ where I can just start putting in whatever SQL statements I might need for the application I'm developing. Developing whatever application you have in Pro*C would certainly make it more portable.
  • SteveO wrote:
    Pro*C appears to have no inherent limits with embedded SQL compared to other options. While I have no first-hand experience with Pro*C, it looks exactly like C++ where I can just start putting in whatever SQL statements I might need for the application I'm developing. Developing whatever application you have in Pro*C would certainly make it more portable.

Thank you for your response.