Learning programming now VS Learning programming before internet.

How much harder was it to learn a programming language before the internet then it is now? Now with the internet, we have video tutorials, and information all about programming on google. Before internet, all people had were books (correct me if i'm wrong). It seems everyone now is using video tutorials rather then reading to learn now (correct me if i'm wrong). I for one started learning from videos. It just seems I learn better from videos then books. It's easier to learn with someone speaking and walking you through it and writing code along with the video tutorial I think.

Comments

• No matter how you learn you will eventually have to start reading books in order to get deeper understanding of the programming language. There's a lot of stuff not covered in video tutorials and online tutorials, so don't get the idea that what you have learned that way is all there is to it. Video tutorials are ok for beginning students, but you will need books written by professionals to learn the more complex stuff.

BTW I learned before the internet, in the mid 1980s. It sucks not having anyone to ask questions about what I didn't understand. Took me about a week just to get a Hello World program to work in C language.
  • No matter how you learn you will eventually have to start reading books in order to get deeper understanding of the programming language. There's a lot of stuff not covered in video tutorials and online tutorials, so don't get the idea that what you have learned that way is all there is to it. Video tutorials are ok for beginning students, but you will need books written by professionals to learn the more complex stuff.

BTW I learned before the internet, in the mid 1980s. It sucks not having anyone to ask questions about what I didn't understand. Took me about a week just to get a Hello World program to work in C language.
    What books do you recommend in the following for a beginner: C, C++, Java.
    Which one helped you the most?
    What was your first book you used to learn programming?
  • I agree with AD. Although I leaned programming with full access to the internet, books are still the way to go. Being able to Google search a specific issue is nice, but for actual learning there is no substitute for a well written book.

I personally don't get why video tutorials are so popular... I find them quite irritating to sit through. I always find myself having to pause/start, or skip forward if I already know the part they are currently walking through. With a book or written tutorial I can go through at my own pace.
  • Here is a very long thread about c and c++ books. The book I started with is no long in print, so it's not relevant here (also, too old to be of any real value).
  • Books or Online examples / books are the best. Videos, like said above just put me to sleep and dont like at all. But it was harder before internet cause now you can ask questions and usually get answers.. No more going threw pages of notes to find out something, now you just google away...