Is BASIC easy to learn ?

I have been programming in Java for a while and I am still about a beginner so was hoping to downgrade to much easier language for a while to improve my learning how to program and solve problems as such.

So I thought why not try BASIC. Should I give BASIC a try or is it complex ?

Comments

• Yes, few decades ago it was proposed as a language for non-programmers, so in core it was extremely simple.

However, currently there are tons of basic dialects and some went too far from being simple. If you want you can tell exactly what variant are you going to use, so we can discuss it.

You perhaps may find it better to try Python. The language is often used for studying programming nowadays since it allows to catch a lot of important concepts (and by coverage of these concepts is close to java) but at the same time it uses far more laconic syntax and has dynamic typing which makes it even more simple to start.

http://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/ - here is good official tutorial, though you may prefer some other.

(Basic in turn, in its core lacks any kind of records or objects, and data structures other than array - hashtables, trees, sets, lists - in this regard Python is also preferable)

You also should have a number of simple programming exercises or tasks at hand, starting from easiest. Do you use some book or invent them "from the head"?
  • >Should I give BASIC a try or is it complex ?

Only you can answer that question. What is complex to one person may be child's play to another. For example I barely know the difference between a screwdriver and a sludge hammer, yet a friend of mine is an excellent mechanic. A quote from Diablo III game, "If you never push yourself you will never improve."
  • Thanks for the replies and I will take these answers into consideration.
  • I'd have to disagree with learning BASIC. It is a very old language that isn't used for common application anymore. If you want something simpler than Java, try Python. Like BASIC, it is also designed as a beginner's language. Though, it's actually proven to be quite a powerful language with a wide variety of uses. It's one of Google's most prominent languages.
  • I agree with you about BASIC, but Microsoft VB.NET is a very nice language, not very much like BASIC.
  • Troncoso wrote:
    I'd have to disagree with learning BASIC. It is a very old language that isn't used for common application anymore. If you want something simpler than Java, try Python. Like BASIC, it is also designed as a beginner's language. Though, it's actually proven to be quite a powerful language with a wide variety of uses. It's one of Google's most prominent languages.

As AD said, VB .NET is actually kind of nice. A lot of the tools and internal software we use where I work is all done in VB .NET and hosted off of Windows Server 2003 application servers. It's used quite a bit for quick and "dirty" tools in Windows environments and is extremely useful in programming for Excel if you don't want to use C# for automation.
  • I think Python might be good to learn.....then I would have application programming skills and some scripting skills.
  • Yes, it is easy to learn the VB, especially if you compare it to JAVA that is much harder to understand in my opinion. Learning BASIC is the best for a beginner to create useful programs in no time.
  • For me learning something new is good but you must choose the knowledge you want to learn. Using an old computer language such as Visual Basic is good. Learning it is one thing but is it going to be useful for you? If not, it will be a stagnating knowledge and in the end, with little practice, you mught end up forgetting the skill. For me it is better to learn something that I can use always because with constant use, I'm not just learning the language, I am mastering it.