Okay guys this is frustrating

Well i do not know am i posting on right category or not so hope a mod will change it if i am wrong

first thing is i am actually learn C and C++ for last 5 months. i learn C very much with good understanding of stacks queues pointers, link list and structures soo on. at the same time i learn C++ for great depth until usage of pointers.
but the problem i face is still i am not able to make a modern program .these all are just console programmes.i wasn't able to make a single GUI program .
few years back when i was 15 yrs old i learnt VB 6.0 and actually i was able to make a complete GUI system for a medical lab with databases and reports.now i am 21 and still not able to make a single text box with C and C++ .
actually where am i get it wrong? now it feels me event driven programs are seriously much more useful than C or C++.i feel i should install VB 6 again so i could atleast do some useful things there.
so hope you guys understand what i am saying here and please explain to me how should i go here on with C and C++ . ?

Comments

• It's true that using the API seems like a PITA, but the dot NET framework makes it a lot easier. If your environment will be Windows only, you might want to look into C#. I don't work it, but I've heard it's quite slick, and have seen some nice GUI programs (monitoring in real time), that were quite nice.

For C, and for C++, if you want to program with GUI windows and controls, you should look into a library for it that you like using.

Have you tried any of them?
  • wxWidgets is a popular GUI library, and is portable between MS-Windows and Linux/Unix. If you want to learn how to use win32 api then start with this tutorial
  • wxWidgets is a popular GUI library, and is portable between MS-Windows and Linux/Unix. If you want to learn how to use win32 api then start with this tutorial

hello thank you for the help and can you please explain to me the that i heard the GUI programing is completely different from normal programing . how come that happen?
  • Adak wrote:
    It's true that using the API seems like a PITA, but the dot NET framework makes it a lot easier. If your environment will be Windows only, you might want to look into C#. I don't work it, but I've heard it's quite slick, and have seen some nice GUI programs (monitoring in real time), that were quite nice.

For C, and for C++, if you want to program with GUI windows and controls, you should look into a library for it that you like using.

Have you tried any of them?

thank you for the help my friend :)
  • nipun.max wrote:
    hello thank you for the help and can you please explain to me the that i heard the GUI programing is completely different from normal programing . how come that happen?

There is no difference, it's all just C/C++ programming. What do you consider "normal" programming? IMO there is no such thing.
  • There is no difference, it's all just C/C++ programming. What do you consider "normal" programming? IMO there is no such thing.

no actually i heard people say the console programming running from main() but the GUI programmes are start with event driven style. if click -this happen system
  • Well, yes, GUI programs are event driven, such as when a button is clicked. Other than that it's all just C. GUI programs don't have a main() function, at least on on MS-Windows operating system. Instead they have WinMain(). Depending on the library you use you may not even have to write WinMain().

Using Visual studio 2010 you can write a C++/CLR starter GUI program (called Windows Forms) without writing even one line of code because VS generates all the starter code for you. Then you use drag-and-drop to visually put controls (such as buttons, checkboxes, text boxes, labels, etc) on the control. To implement what the controls do you just double-click the control and VS will generate a starter function for you so that you can put the code you want in the function. You can go the pure c++ route if you want do, but you will have to do everything manually and use win32 api functions, and there are hundreds of those functions.

C++/CLR, C# and VB.NET all use the same .NET framework functions and you can actually mix the three languages in the same program.
  • nipun.max wrote:
    now i am 21 and still not able to make a single text box with C and C++ .
    actually where am i get it wrong? now it feels me event driven programs are seriously much more useful than C or C++.i feel i should install VB 6 again so i could atleast do some useful things there.
    so hope you guys understand what i am saying here and please explain to me how should i go here on with C and C++ . ?

Sounds like you're not utilizing the .NET frameworks or tools available in Visual Studio if you're on Windows, as Ancient Dragon already said. There isn't much difference in developing a GUI with VB .NET, C++ .NET, or C# .NET since it's all a common framework (one thing I really like about how Microsoft has done things). The only thing that differs is the language used to implement the functionality of your program. I can tell you right now that my work (I work in the LTL trucking industry) uses a VB .NET piece of software at every door where we can pull up a trailer that tells people where to take a particular shipment (those are HP Zero Clients, and are utter crap, but we landed a nice deal on them). The rest of our software is coded in C++ on .NET (like all of our mission critical stuff), and everything runs off of Windows Server 2003 clusters set up as application servers.
  • Well, yes, GUI programs are event driven, such as when a button is clicked. Other than that it's all just C. GUI programs don't have a main() function, at least on on MS-Windows operating system. Instead they have WinMain(). Depending on the library you use you may not even have to write WinMain().

Using Visual studio 2010 you can write a C++/CLR starter GUI program (called Windows Forms) without writing even one line of code because VS generates all the starter code for you. Then you use drag-and-drop to visually put controls (such as buttons, checkboxes, text boxes, labels, etc) on the control. To implement what the controls do you just double-click the control and VS will generate a starter function for you so that you can put the code you want in the function. You can go the pure c++ route if you want do, but you will have to do everything manually and use win32 api functions, and there are hundreds of those functions.

C++/CLR, C# and VB.NET all use the same .NET framework functions and you can actually mix the three languages in the same program.

Thanks for the information Dragon
  • SteveO wrote:
    Sounds like you're not utilizing the .NET frameworks or tools available in Visual Studio if you're on Windows, as Ancient Dragon already said. There isn't much difference in developing a GUI with VB .NET, C++ .NET, or C# .NET since it's all a common framework (one thing I really like about how Microsoft has done things). The only thing that differs is the language used to implement the functionality of your program. I can tell you right now that my work (I work in the LTL trucking industry) uses a VB .NET piece of software at every door where we can pull up a trailer that tells people where to take a particular shipment (those are HP Zero Clients, and are utter crap, but we landed a nice deal on them). The rest of our software is coded in C++ on .NET (like all of our mission critical stuff), and everything runs off of Windows Server 2003 clusters set up as application servers.

so we i have to learn C# or .net for better GUI programming
  • nipun.max wrote:
    so we i have to learn C# or .net for better GUI programming

No. .NET is the GUI toolset for Windows inside Visual Studio. All you have to do is start a project in whatever language you want and you immediately have access to the .NET framework version you specify in the project settings (4 or 4.5 in my case since I deal with Windows 7 and 8). You can use .NET with C++ quite easily. C# makes a lot of things easier for sure, but you don't need to code in C# to make a great GUI (great interfaces were made long before C# was even a language and before .NET was even a framework).
  • For some reason Microsoft no longer supports the C++ Windows Forms Templates from VS 2012 -- so if you want to do it with VS 2012 then you have to start the project with VS 2010. Microsoft wants us to use C# or VB.NET instead of C++/CLR.

Read this thread

And read this
  • For some reason Microsoft no longer supports the C++ Windows Forms Templates from VS 2012 -- so if you want to do it with VS 2012 then you have to start the project with VS 2010. Microsoft wants us to use C# or VB.NET instead of C++/CLR.

Read this thread

And read this

okay guys let me make things clear. Visual studio .net is a framework. so every GUI programme must contain this rules and standards to make apps in windows. whats if i want to make a platform independent software?
  • Then use a platform-independent compiler and/or library. wxWidgets is such a library, and so are QT and GCC compilers. There are other libraries too -- here's a list.. There is no such thing as one set of libraries or compilers that are independent of every conceivable platform -- I just am aware of MS-Windows, *nix and MAC. There are hundreds of other platforms that may or may not support wxWidgets.
  • Then use a platform-independent compiler and/or library. wxWidgets is such a library, and so are QT and GCC compilers. There are other libraries too -- here's a list.

I learnt lot of today . had to do some wikipedia search for words . so i think i have learnt something very useful. thank you very much for your help dragon. :)