If there was a new big programming language

Just a bit of fun, do if there was a new big programming language, big as in C/C++ big, what features would u want in it? For example static or dynamic typing (could be wrong with the name but in other words automatic type determination= dynamic). Since I only have a full view of one programming language I wouldn't have valid opinions on things like this but I want to know what veteraned programmers find important

Comments

• IMHO there is no need for a new programming language at this time or in the foreseeable future. Maybe hen hologram computers become common we will need new languages.
  • Look at the features in Rust and Go languages. To my way of thinking, they have moved the bar higher than the existing languages.
  • How uses them? A: No one.
  • > Look at the features in Rust and Go Languages

I only ever heard of rust by a fluke and GO I have heard of once or twice but I have to agree with Ancient, no one uses them, there only seem to be a select few that use it. Also so far in my forum visiting time I have NEVER seen a single thread dedicated to Rust and only one or two for GO. Until they really do something to stand out I doubt there ever will be either
  • Rust is backed by Mozilla (Firefox, etc.), and Go is backed by Google. You'll hear more about them, in the future.

Intel has the next few generations of cpu's out in prototype - beasty has 250 cores, but will offer only a small increase in speed. We're going to be programming in Pthreads, if we want to use the power these cpu's have.

Rust and Go allow that to easily happen, AND allow compilations to be done at a much faster pace. Both offer features that we don't have in compiled languages, currently.

Rust doesn't have a stable version out, so of course no one is using it yet. Go just came out with it's first stable version less than a year ago.

I don't know if either Rust or Go will become popular in the future, but it seems clear that there is room for some new language to spring up, and supplant languages designed decades ago.
  • obviously you've down ur research, i was just commenting on what i knew, seems interesting enough, i shall keep an eye on them
  • I don't mean to imply that popular languages today will disappear. There's a huge software base in many of them, and LOTS of people using them, every day. They'll still be around, and still be heavily used.

But the new languages will sometimes find their niche in working easily with the newer hardware, as well.
  • Adak wrote:
    I don't mean to imply that popular languages today will disappear. There's a huge software base in many of them, and LOTS of people using them, every day. They'll still be around, and still be heavily used.

But the new languages will sometimes find their niche in working easily with the newer hardware, as well.

true, good point

So?

Look at how many people are still using C. That doesnt mean that it is the canonical example of a language and no improvements can be made.

Google is using golang. That in and of itself should speak volumes. Companies are resistant to change and risks yet one of the largest went out of their way to not only switch from a core native language (C++) but to develop and entirely new language. They did this because they saw a problem that needed to be addressed.

Good programming languages always start with 1 user, just like the bad ones. For a language in its infancy, a popularity metric is meaningless.

As Adak and sixstringartist suggested, Google uses Go extensively internally for web applications and data processing. Looking at the amount of open source Google contributes, and the impact they have on the programming community in general by virtue of employing thousands of engineers, this will change soon.
  • Why not learn of the programming languages and combine them into one? :D

learn R languages and the more you get into it, the more you'll find out that it's difficult and it's like learning a new programming languages inside an profound one. Yes the languages today will not just simply disappear, but who knows what's the new big thing is?