Basic Theory Behind Specific Langauges

Hey Programmingforums.org! I got couple of questions for you guys to answer (if you want) regarding programming languages. I will name them below:

Introduction of myself
I am a 18 year old student, who is learning all of the roles of IT. The Main one is networking, at the moment, I am studying, Comptia networking, and if I pass I will do CCNA next year with my Uni and I am looking for job in that field, but I would like to gain knowledge of software side too.

HTML/CSS is not a programming language, I understand that, though, PHP/Perl is a programming language that used in server side, which I do not need, since hosting companies provide that. The thing that I don't understand in web development is JavaScript. What is the purpose of that language? and what does it do to the website?, with examples of course.

Java: I know that is it a programming language used for web-browser applications and phones, and this language would be beneficial to learn, as applications are popular this decade. Though is it worth it? because I hear that this is an old language and it is not used (businesses) as when it was invented .

Which Should I learn ? C++ or C Sharp? I don't understand the difference..

Comments

• The thing that I don't understand in web development is JavaScript. What is the purpose of that language?

It's a scripting language to manipulate the web page on the client (contrary to PHP which runs on the server).