mysql access denied error

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but no where else looked any better and I know someone should be able to help me out with this.

I am trying to set up the connection to my mysql server and I keep getting a "access denied for user 'exampleuser'@'x.x.x.x' (using password=yes)".

The mysql server service is started.

I can telnet to port 3306 from another machine. So the server is listening on that port. However, I guess I really can't say the mysql server is the one listening on it (doubt anything else is) but using commands like "netstat -ln|grep mysql" or "netstat -la| grep mysql" that have been suggested to check, return much bigger numbers than 3306. Not sure of the command output's format so not sure if the number is even a "port number". When I went into the my.cnf file it did not have a "port=" so I added "port=3306" and restarted the service but that also resulted in the same error.

And I have the privileges set to GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* to 'exampleuser'@'%' so the user can connect from anywhere.

If anyone can point me in another direction and have me try something else, it would be appreciated.

Comments