Is it worth using a PHP IDE ?

Until now i have been coding(about half a year now) PHP in a notepad.
I kinda abandoned my own project and decided to continue it,but to my surprise it was very hard to keep track of my code as in where huge blocks of conditionals end and so on... as i know from using a C++ IDE you are shown the blocks (bracket blocks) of code and it's pretty easy and handy to code with it.

My question is...
Is it really worth getting an IDE for PHP ?

What IDE's are there? And where can i get them? (and yes... i tried googling )

Comments

• I assume you are using Windows? I would recommend Notepad++ for a simple IDE that works for many languages.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
  • Notepad++ supports many different languages. Its just a very complex text editor, not an IDE for a compiler.
  • BUCHANKO wrote:
    Until now i have been coding(about half a year now) PHP in a notepad.
    I kinda abandoned my own project and decided to continue it,but to my surprise it was very hard to keep track of my code as in where huge blocks of conditionals end and so on... as i know from using a C++ IDE you are shown the blocks (bracket blocks) of code and it's pretty easy and handy to code with it.

My question is...
    Is it really worth getting an IDE for PHP ?

What IDE's are there? And where can i get them? (and yes... i tried googling )
    I guess it all depends on how much functionality you actually need. Having an IDE that is directly involved with PHP development is a must if you are in that type of career field. However, if you just like to learn about the language, then Notepad++ is fine for syntax highlighting and indenting code. As far as I know, it doesn't have the ability to actually test the code though.

I personally use NuSphere, but that's only because my business needs it. They have a trial version, but the full version with cost you.
  • Yes, i am actually willing to do some business stuff,tried notepad++ just now, seems it isn't what i was looking for... you are supposed to look over the whole document carefully to find that little closing bracket...

Downloading NuSphere atm, and i'm pretty sure with nowadays internet i can get it for free...
  • BUCHANKO wrote:
    you are supposed to look over the whole document carefully to find that little closing bracket...

Not if you indent properly.
  • Maybe,but you can't indent a huge block of code that was written in notepad :/,+ the spaces and tabs there would cause size issues,and is probably a bad habit :/ .And i'm kinda looking for an IDE similar to Dr.Java for Java,i just fell in love with it xD.
    Anyone knows of anything similar?
  • OMG, more silly stuff. Zend (or similar).
  • DaWei wrote:
    OMG, more silly stuff. Zend (or similar).

Give me one good reason for using the word "silly" in that sentence >.<
  • I would recommend Notepad++ for a simple IDE
    Anything else?
  • Ahhh i see now, that's a good reason xD.
    Anyway if anyone is interested i stopped on PHP Designer 7, it's just as every other out there, didn't find anything better :/
  • I use Codelobster PHP Edition
    It is very light free PHP IDE
  • I've been using Netbeans with PHP plugins. I like it so far. Helps me with my debugging as it nicely integrates with xdebug after a bit of configuration and helps with idenfiying syntax error and provides hints, etc. Not bad for being free.