best web development language

hello friends, I know the html, css, asp. But I think this is not enough for web site designer. can you suggest me that which language is the best for the web designers.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• I didn't see PHP in your list... I know PHP can offer a lot in website development as well as javascript in some cases.
  • i think looking into python or perl would be a good investment

and yes javascript works wonders.

also it looks like there is a demand for actionscript programmers
  • Web designers and web developers are not exactly the same sort of thing.

I don't think it's easy to get by in web design without knowing a good bit about the various client side technologies (HTML, JavaScript, CSS; plus maybe Java and possibly Flash (although especially with Flash there's some controversy about where the web ends and proprietary technologies begin)).

If you want to get into web development proper, you will still need a good grounding in the above, but you'll also need to get into server-side programming.

I'd strongly recommend learning how to write CGI scripts in Perl. It may not be the new, hot thing that everyone's thrilled about but you'll learn a lot about server side programming that way. Also, CGI is a surprisingly useful thing to know about, since it's language agnostic (i.e. can be used from a range of languages; so if you need blindingly fast performance out of a web application some day you can resort to C in a pinch).

PHP is also worthwhile (and approachable for newcomers, with the option to learn some useful web application frameworks like CodeIgniter later but a very shallow learning curve initially). As for Python, well, wow, isn't it just about the best thing for everything these days? Semi-seriously, though, I do think it's worth a look as well.

You're probably not going to do any serious web development without learning about relational databases. MySQL is worth knowing about, and PostgreSQL is a very fine example (but bigger and a little more intimidating).

If I was you I'd ditch ASP and play with PHP next; basic PHP looks a lot like classic ASP so you should find it's not too hard to get into.
  • It's much more valuable (for many people) to get good at programming than it is to learn yet another language.
  • You know ASP, so why not pick up ASP.net? ASP.net make's it unbelievably easy for a person who knows the basics to accomplish things with little learning. Their are also dozens of free online videos for learning how to use Visual Web Developer and perform tasks you may want to do at [http://www.asp.net/learn/].

You can find Visual Web Developer for free at http://www.asp.net/downloads/ or simply use Microsofts new Web Plateform installer to automatically and easily install everything you need from VWD to IIS to Silverlight at http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx.

Though not free, their are literally hundreds of videos on all different Visual Studio topics at [http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/] and the pricing is very reasonable. Being 1 class at a university for Java cost me over $200.00 in books alone, at $160 for a life license to all current and new videos, you can't beat that.
  • I would suggest you to go for ASP.NET..

<snip fake signature>
  • I prefer ASP.Net. Being a .Net developer it is the logical choice for me.
  • I would suggest pLop.
  • Hi,
    For web development, there are a number of platforms you can start working on, ASP.Net, PHP, Java, and many more. You should also have the knowledge of databases. Go for MS SQL Server, My SQL or Oracle. Next coming to designing, you can go for HTML along with javascript, jquery, AJAX, CSS, Flash. If you want to go for initial designs also, then you should learn Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
  • I think PHP is the best web development language. It is easy and is especially good for beginners who look mainly for the basics.
  • PHP is the best and easiest web development language. It is a proven technology and allows high access and compatibility to web servers.
  • to be a web designer you have to know HTML 5, CSS , Javascript handy in JQUERY , AJAX ...
  • If you want to learn a web development language,I think you should start by learning HTML.It's Web-centric.You are good in C++, I suggest you learn C#,Its syntax similar to C ++.
  • ARD wrote:
    to be a web designer you have to know HTML 5, CSS , Javascript handy in JQUERY , AJAX ...

Not necessarily HTML 5 since it's not an accepted standard yet. Learning the basics of HTML is more useful than learning the new features of HTML 5, although HTML 5 does look like it does pretty cool things.

I'd recommend PHP, Javascript, and jQuery. You may want to look into something like Silverlight and Visual Basic for developing web applications (or ActionScript and Flex/Flash if you feel like dealing with Adobe's memory leak tendencies) if you eventually move over to web development (which is becoming slightly more of a demand than web designers).
  • Well for the Web Development PHP is one of the best Language Because it is Strong and one of the simple Language as compare to any other Languages.And the other thing is that Its database creation is also simple and potential it is working with the MySql as a database.I think it is one of the best Language.
  • I think PHP will meet your needs from small to large scale of web applications. PHP can be use in different Frameworks to make it more robust. Here are some of top most PHP Framework:
    1 Yii
    2 CodeIgniter
    3 CakePHP
    4 Zend
    5 Symfony
    6 PHPDevShell
    7 Prado
    8 Akelos
    9 QPHP
    10 ZooP

Well, of course its still depend what language you are comfortable, happy and enjoy with. :)
  • I think no compare with HTML now a days
    its best in this regard
  • ASP.Net is the best web development language forever according to me.

<snip fake signature>
  • I think no compare with HTML now a days
    its best in this regard
    HTML is for sure needed in web development, but it is only a client-side markup language and often needs to be used along side other technologies. For larger websites a server side language is often required, such as ASP.net or PHP.
  • There is no BEST particular language for web development. It is all depending on the kind of server or platform of the web application & the user experience. I would suggest the beginners to start with HTML and CSS. When it comes to web application selection; PHP is suitable for quick jobs. And I would recommend Java for complex and scalable systems.
  • Javascript, if you are not good at using Javascript, then you're not a real web developer.. its easy to learn, focus on javascript
  • Javascript, if you are not good at using Javascript, then you're not a real web developer.. its easy to learn, focus on javascript

I strongly beg to differ. I worked as a web developer in high school for several months and never wrote a single line of Javascript...just PHP. I even started redesigning the site in Ruby before I stopped working for the company that hired me. Don't get me wrong, Javascript is quite useful, especially with the jQuery extensions, but you can still be a web developer without ever being good at coding in Javascript; I prefer to work with Ruby now over Javascript.
  • SteveO wrote:
    I strongly beg to differ. I worked as a web developer in high school for several months and never wrote a single line of Javascript...just PHP. I even started redesigning the site in Ruby before I stopped working for the company that hired me. Don't get me wrong, Javascript is quite useful, especially with the jQuery extensions, but you can still be a web developer without ever being good at coding in Javascript; I prefer to work with Ruby now over Javascript.

Well SteveO, I'm afraid you were not a real web developer, going by arbitrary definitions of reality as applied to web development. You were a fake web developer, writing archaic software that made a historically anachronistic rendition of the Web 1.0 cyberscape. Real web developers don't use URLs, they use Javascript actions. Real web developers don't use bookmarkable locations, they use asynchronous HTTP requests. Real web developers don't use paths, they use hashtags.

Okay in all seriousness you can be a web developer without knowing Javascript or something that compiles to Javascript, but you certainly can't be a good one.
  • I should mention then that the parts of the site I worked on didn't have me working in Javascript. I mostly developed web applications in Flex and ActionScript, so I had no real use for Javascript even though I knew the language.
  • hi

Just go with ASP,ASP.NET,php.......C# .......

These will give you more results....in a shorter you will come to know which is more valuable .......

the current trend is on C# & php

Regards,
    <snip fake signature>
  • Ultimately, the code is interpreted by a Web server with a PHP processor module which generates the resulting Web page. It also has evolved to include a command-line interface capability & can be used in standalone graphical applications. PHP can be deployed on most Web servers & also as a standalone shell on every operating method & platform free.

PHP is a general-purpose server-side scripting language originally designed for Web development to produce dynamic Web pages. It is among of the first developed server-side scripting languages to be embedded in to an HTML source document, than calling an outside file to system knowledge.
  • Personally I would name it as PHP because it’s open source and cheaper web hosting also it’s easy to learn.
  • Personally I would name it as PHP because it’s open source and cheaper web hosting also it’s easy to learn.

I totally, agree. One more thing, lot of PHP people in world that can help in any case. :)
  • As a web developer you must have ability to adopt the different languages, since your looking for the best that base in your choice of preference.

And if you want to gain your knowledge about programming I suggest you Laravel - The PHP Framework it would help you in simplifying your codes and also make it readable.

I hope you check this out. :)
    Happy coding.