What to should I learn first?

• What to should I learn first?

Hello and good day

To start with, this is my very first post and let it be known that im not a programmer. Im a novice. Since year 1999, I find myself interested in asp and since then im using this language although I have no idea how to use it.
    There is a software which im using wherein I can make some web base programs even though I dont know how to program. But the features of this software are limited only. There are so much more that I would like to do but I can't using this software and that really frustrates me.

Now, Im planning to go to school and learn asp. Although im short in budget to pay the tuition (self-supporting), I am willing to pay even if it this just to satisfy my question of how does it works. I really want to learn.

My question is, since I dont have any background in any programming laguages, should I learn first Visual Basic or straight to asp?
    Im working outside my country and im planning to go on leave for a month to study. But if I need to study first visual basic then there will be no time left to learn asp. Please advice me.

Thank you very much in advance :)
    Obey now, play later;
    Disobey now, pay later!
  • ASP isn't a programming language, but a framework that exposes webserver services to a programming language such as VB. If your intention is to program web services in VB using ASP, then I'd suggest learning VB prior to learning how the ASP framework works.
  • Stick with what you really want to do - ASP.

You're so lucky, because now with the world wide web, you can find lessons and get answers, in almost every language.

Use that! Google up a bunch of ASP questions and lessons and tutorials, from all over the net, and start right away. It's free except for your time and bandwidth costs.

Learning a programming language is a lot like learning a spoken language. If you want to learn Swedish, study Swedish, don't study French first because it might make you a better linguist. And remember to practice, practice, practice! Yes, you will need to learn some programming skills, but why not learn them IN ASP, instead of any other language?

Get registered at some forums that are very active with ASP, so you can learn from all the other posters with ASP questions - that's VERY helpful.

And have fun! ;)
  • Adak wrote:

Stick with what you really want to do - ASP.

You're so lucky, because now with the world wide web, you can find lessons and get answers, in almost every language.

Use that! Google up a bunch of ASP questions and lessons and tutorials, from all over the net, and start right away. It's free except for your time and bandwidth costs.

Learning a programming language is a lot like learning a spoken language. If you want to learn Swedish, study Swedish, don't study French first because it might make you a better linguist. And remember to practice, practice, practice! Yes, you will need to learn some programming skills, but why not learn them IN ASP, instead of any other language?

Get registered at some forums that are very active with ASP, so you can learn from all the other posters with ASP questions - that's VERY helpful.

And have fun! ;)

How can you learn public speaking without first learning how to speak? Your analogy is incorrect, because ASP isn't a programming language. ASP is a framework that supports VBScript and JScript by default install. It also supports the following by third party addon: Perl, Python, Basic, Haskell, PHP, REXX, Delphi, XSLT, Tcl, Ruby and other programming languages.
  • Hi again,

Thank you for your quick reply.

@ Adak

Im a novice and I dont understand much yet in programming. Correct me if im wrong but based on what you guys said. In your example, if I want to learn Swedish, I dont need to study French first.
    And your advice is to go straight to ASP. But since ASP is not a language then, how can I jump straight
    to asp? Therefore, I need to study first a programming language such as VB to use ASP? Is my understanding correct?

Thank you
    Obey now, play later;
    Disobey now, pay later!
  • Learn C#, since you're looking for a recommendation and you obviously aren't using the ASP.NET website for anything since they walk you through everything. Don't learn anything before C# either; just learn C#. As for the analogy, what would make more sense in learning Swedish: learning Swedish, or learning French? They're two completely different languages from different categories, so why learn French (a Latin based language) if you're going to learn Swedish (a Germanic language)? Same applies to programming: why learn C if you need to use Ruby? Learn the right language for the job to be done.
    "I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."
  • if you are new in programming then learn
    first it.
    learn first c# language,
    1.basic data type
    2.control structure
    3.loop
    4.function
    5.class,object,method
    6.inheritance,polymorphism,abstract,static

then practice the OOP(object oriented programming) using c#
    then you can move to asp.